Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Time 4 Learning - Part One

We have been playing around a website that we were given the opportunity to try out. It is called Time 4 Learning. It is a website service that supplements core curriculum for language arts and math but they have also included some science and social studies much to the delight of my ten year old son. It is meant to supplement or act as a tutor for homeschooling or public school learning. We have been pleased with what we have seen so far.

The signup process was easy as pie. I was able to choose the grade level that I wanted for my children according to their skills. They loved choosing their own passwords. During the sign-up process there was a message that said access would be granted within 24 hours. We received confirmation emails indicating that they had access within an hour for all of the children. That was impressive to me.

Right away the kids began in looking at all they had in their queue so to speak. They could choose langauage arts, science, social studies etc. The screens have been easy for them to navigate even down to our 4 year old. I have appreciated this program so far. When I am working with one or two children, I can have one or two kids working on our computers learning about various topics without my direction.

So far my only concern has been the science portion. There is some evolutionistic teaching and at times millions of years has been mentioned when talking of dinosaurs. We come from a creationist point of view and this matters to us. So far it has been minimal and we are keeping our eyes out for it. Our kids know that evolution is a theory and so they recognize it when they see it and we talk about it as it comes up.

Overall we like what we see so far. Check back as we spend more time using the service and have more to say about it.

No comments: