Friday, December 12, 2008

Salem Ridge Press

Salem Ridge Press is a publishing com,pany that was started in 2005 with a dedication to bringing back wholesome books from the 1800's and 1900's. We were given three books to read and review and I am so impressed!

We decided to use American Twins of the Revolution as a family read aloud. The kids would fold laundry while I would read and were always disappointed when our time was over. Many days we spend time reading an extra chapter. It is a historical fiction book and has characters that were slaves. This provided a launchpad for many conversations as two of my five children are adopted are from African descent. Slavery is a hard topic for them but in this story the family takes great care of their slaves and does not mistreat them. I believe that is important for my children to understand our history and the culture in times past even if we don't agree with it today.

Mary Jane - Her Book is a cute story that is meant for younger readers. My eight year old read to my six year old during quiet times and they had such a great time. They would giggle and talk about the adventures found in the book as they read.

Glaucia the Greek Slave is intended for readers that are older than ten years of age. I gave this one to my ten year old to read and she has enjoyed it. After the death of their father, two children are sold into slavery to settle debts. As the story progresses she begins to find that there is more than the Gods have to offer her. She finds that there is one God who loves even a slave and has to make a choice between what she has known and the one she is now drawn to called the Lord Jesus Christ.

Salem Ridge Press is a wonderful company making available to the public wholesome books that are becoming more and more rare. I highly recomment that you take a look at their website and see what they have to offer.

No comments: