Thursday, March 5, 2009

Critical Thinking


Have you noticed that in the times we live in today common sense seems to be disappearing? I attribute some of the loss to the amount of media we spend our time in front of. When things are fed to us we don't exercise the part of the brain that reasons and figures our for ourselves.


We were blessed to receive 2 different levels of books from The Critical Thinking Company. I have looked at their books for some time now but I had not made the investment yet. I am going to be very open and honest here. Two of my kids, our oldest twins, were born in Africa and an issue they have at times is critical thinking. This didn't come from huge amounts of media time for them. It more had to do with environment and malnurishment.


We were given Level 1 for grades 2-3 and Level 2 for grades 4-6. I am beyond impressed. The exercises on each page are short and easy to follow. They can read the instructions themselves and know what to do with very little help from me. Often times when I am not quite ready to start school yet, the twins have gone out to the school room and retrieved their critical thinking books to get started. At $29.99 they were a little on the high on the price side but when I actually got the books in my own hands I changed my tune. The books are very thick and will last my kids quite awhile making this a worthwhile investment.


I think they secretly like doing the activities and I am enjoying the increase in reasoning skills. The Critical Thinking Company has a large amount of activities, puzzles etc. I love looking at all they have to offer and after trying out these workbooks I will be investing in more of what they have to offer. Click on the links in this post to check them out for yourself.

No comments: