Monday, January 12, 2009

Math Mammoth

Math Mammoth is a math program that is a complete curriculum or a great supplement to any math program. We are a Math-U-See family here and that is hard to compete with in my book but we were given the opportunity to review the Light Blue Series for my first grader. It is very basic and not full of overstimulating information. I want to note that is came as an e-file but there are physical workbooks that are available for purchase. I have talked before about how I prefer workbooks but this really can be a nice feature. It's nice when a child says "I lost that" or I can't find that." I can always re-print and in this busy house that is appreciated.

The Light Blue Series a complete curriculum meant for grades 1-4 and it organized by grade level. It includes both explanations and problems and requires very little teacher involvement. This can be a pro or a con depending on your teaching style and the needs of your student. This series includes all topics in the worktext.

The Blue Series is organized by topics and meant for grades 1-5. It also includes both explanations and problems and requires little teach involvement.

A great thing about Math Mammoth is their customer service. If you aren't sure what your child needs, you can always ask. They are willing to help you figure out what will best fit for your child based on the areas they need to work on.

I found Math Mammoth to be very affordable. A complete curriculum can be found for grades for 1-5 for $27. Supplemental workbooks can be purchased for between $2-$5. Being economical is very important to us and there are many affordable workbooks based on topics depending on the area you would like your child to spend time on. Critical thinking is important to us and there is workbook that works on mental math, for example.

Math-U-See is still a better fit for us as a family but I found Math Mammoth to be a solid program worth taking a look at. Head on over to Math Mammoth to see what they have to offer. There is much more available than I have been able to cover here.

No comments: